The PSATs will be administered at Tri-County on Wednesday, October 10th. Registration deadline is September 27th. The cost of the PSAT is $20.00. Please bring a check or cash to Mrs. Gildea in the Guidance Department before school, at lunch or after school to register. Mrs. Gildea will be registering students through September 27th. If you have any questions, please see your Counselor in Guidance.
About the PSAT
PSAT/NMSQT stands for Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. It's a standardized test for 10th and 11th graders that provides firsthand practice for the SAT Reasoning TestTM. It also gives the student a chance to enter National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) scholarship programs.
The PSAT/NMSQT measures:
- Critical reading skills
- Math problem-solving skills
- Writing skills
Students have developed these skills over many years, both in and out of school. This test doesn't require the student to recall specific facts from your classes.
The most common reasons for taking the PSAT/NMSQT are:
- To receive feedback on the student’s strengths and weaknesses on skills necessary for college study. The student can then focus their preparation on those areas that could most benefit from additional study or practice.
- To see how the student’s performance on an admissions test might compare with that of others applying to college.
- To enter the competition for scholarships from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (grade 11).
- To help prepare for the SAT. The student can become familiar with the kinds of questions and the exact directions one will see on the SAT.
- To receive information from colleges when "yes" is checked on the Student Search Service.